Tuesday 8 April 2014

April 7, 2014. Day 1. Fremantle to Bakers Hill

Just a quick check in, whist using free wifi


Day 1, Fremantle to Bakers Hill
 ....was a reasonable 1st day's ride (105km) and considering I had to climb Greenmount Hill.. which was a pretty tough "physical challenge" as most West Aussie riders will know.

The traffic wasn't too bad. As I'm also carrying a handheld CB radio, I had to enlighten plenty of  truck drivers, who seem to think THEY own the road.... with their comments of "death wish", "too small", "can't be seen", "get off the road", "too slow", "what is it?","I'm reporting you to the Police" etc.,

The Rotovelo SHARES the road!! 

I was stopped by the Police (for the 1st time), when I was about half way up Greenmount, I had been reported as "using the whole lane" (as I'm entitled to, as per the Road Rules) and they were concerned for my safety. They, the Police, seemed to think that adding a "flag" will keep me alive.... Rubbish!!  drivers keeping their eyes on the road, 'n them and I, BOTH being aware of our surroundings, is the ticket! 

If I was riding a "regular" bicycle, no other driver would've given me a second glance....they just would've shot past, 1/2" off my elbow, scaring the crap out of me, and just keep on going.... , the Rotovelo is something they haven't seen before, and they don't know how to share the road with different vehicles!! that's all that's worrying them. 




Start at Rouse Head Lighthouse,
Fremantle.....                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     with my "Send - Off Party" of one lone seagull


Climbing through the Perth Hills....




And finally ..... after a coffee and couple of pies at the Bakers Hill Bakery,    






105 km from the start, a deserted shed looks like a quiet, secluded place to call it a day.


1st night wild camp. 

No comments:

Post a Comment